Sunday, September 20, 2009

SPARTA! ...SORT OF!

Today we went and visited two really ancient places: the Sanctuary of Asclepios in Epidaurus and Ancient Corinth. We drove along the Peloponnese and basically trekked around where the Spartans lived. Later on we drove down South to Corinth. Corinth was definitely my favorite place so far, but more on that later.



If you look at my google map (----->), you can see that it was a long drive from Athens to Epidaurus. We drove along the southern coastline, and the view was breathtaking. It was like driving along 1 near Santa Barbara, but better.





This is me in front of the theater. It is the best-preserved ancient theater in all of Greece. Standing in the middle, you can whisper and the poor guy in the top row can hear you inhale. Ridiculous!



A view from the restaurant where we ate for lunch. It looks straight out a stock photo.



My family knows this, but I don't think anyone else does. I can easily finish a whole fish. By myself. It's disgusting and awesome at the same time.




Ancient Corinth is my favorite site I've seen so far. It's a big deal for me to be here because St. Paul lived and preached here, and I have no words for how important he is for me, and for Christianity itself. Unlike most other of Jesus' disciples, this BAMF said, "Hey, wtf? Why is Jesus only for the Jews? What about the Gentiles?" He was a very educated man - a Roman citizen - who argued with logic as well as faith, and did what all Christians are supposed to do - spread the Gospel through example and, more importantly, not be a dick about it. His letters are read somewhere around the world at any given moment of the day. If you were a teacher and your students were confused and being disobedient, what would you say? How would you address them? Now imagine thousands of years later people are reading them. If that's not influence, I don't know what is.




<3

No comments:

Post a Comment